Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The one movie I was avoiding

Growing up with Christ in my life since my birth has been one of the best privileges I've had.  I've never known a day in my life where He didn't exist in my universe.  I did not always embrace my Christian faith in the way I do today, but I knew His name could be spoken at any moment and my heart would know He was there.

I remember the bible stories from Sunday school growing up.  I heard the Easter story every year.  I celebrated His birth at the manger each December.  I continue to pursue the knowledge of God's word to this day.  What I've realized is my desensitizing of the truth and my need for re-sensitivity in my life today.  We teach Jesus lived, grew, died, rose, done and now you have eternal life.  I honestly think that one of the injustices of amply cured Christians to the outside world is our lackadaisical attitude about the enormity of the story of our Savior.  I had the distinct privilege to watch "The Passion of the Christ" this past weekend with two of my sons (who had already previewed the film).  I wasn't with my husband geographically when he had the chance to watch it in 2004 and I didn't know if I really wanted to see it.  I knew of the agony that Christ suffered through the reading of the scriptures and wasn't sure I wanted the visual.  But through the urging of my boys and my hubby to watch the film I decided to take the plunge.

After it was over I had no words.  Which really meant for me that I just couldn't put my head around which words to actually use because they all seemed dull and lame compared to the emotions I felt inside.  Believe me, I'm never at a loss for words, but more at a loss for the right ones.  I suddenly felt like my journey for closeness to my God was sorely inadequate and lazy.  I have talked alot about worship and being close to God and reading the word and etc, etc, etc.  But then the simplicity of it all came down to this one moment in eternal time where Jesus gave it all for my life to have meaning.  I don't mean simple like anybody could have done it or that it was easy.  I mean simple in the way that we make it so hard on ourselves to be followers of our risen Lord and Savior.  It became more human to me than ever.  Realizing the relationships he had with ordinary people.  The fact that Mary, his mother, had to be a woman of ordinary means.  If she were royal then Jesus would've been raised by nursemaids and helpers and the relationship between he and his earthly mother would not have been what it was.  

I find myself whining and making excuses so often for my behavior or lack of behavior and why?  Christ gave it all so that I could get on with the business of God's business not mine.  It would be different if I didn't believe, but I believe publicly in Christ, so I need to move on.  I could not have done one phase of that crucifixion journey.  Praying in the garden, going willingly with the guards, getting smacked around, being flogged, dragging a cross while being whipped and finally asking forgiveness for those as he hung, dying.  I have taken it all for granted so far by being so bland about these stories of life changing eternal moments.

If you haven't seen this film I urge you to watch it.  I urge you to watch it with someone else.  If you are under 18, I urge you to watch it with an adult.  This is just a movie with real people who are just actors for a living, but this is a powerful story and God will take you where he wants you through this movie.

I don't want to be desensitized to what Christ has done for me.  I want those around me to understand the intensity in His story of life and death and resurrection.  Dear God, help me.  Here I am.  Make it known to me my life in you daily.


Ephesians 4:22-24
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

2 comments:

mormonhermitmom said...

I've wondered about that movie myself. I've heard both good and bad. I've stayed away from it so far but maybe I'll have to reconsider.

Heidi G said...

We bought the movie when it first came out and I couldn't bring myself to watch it until about a year ago. So moving. Thanks for the reminder to get out of my lazy Christianity and live the life God intended--for HIS glory, not ours.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails