Monday, April 26, 2010

Gift of the Lord Mountain of Strength Price

Yesterday, my hubby and I had the distinct privilege to watch our youngest son stand before a group of Elders and congregation members and profess his faith.  He has been attending a confirmation class for the past 8 months and it culminates here, in the parlor of the church.  My heart is full.  My mind is numb.  I don't know any other "how" but God.  

As we look back on Matt's life of 14.5 years we cherish those moments of serenity when we could just lug him around anywhere and he could care less as long as he was hanging out with us.  Those moments of questioning, when my heart skipped a few million beats, when I asked if he believed in Jesus because I wanted him to or he wanted to and I received the answer I didn't want.  Lots of prayer and affirmation of Christ in our lives has brought us here today.  

He looks so grown up yet so small.  I love my Matthew, not more than my others, but so differently than each.  It's like that when you have children.  The value of the love is the same but the manner in which you feel it in the different parts of your heart are different for each person.  Matt is the last of the boys, the first one up from Sarah, the one I babied the longest, the one that has surprised me the most, the quietest of them all, the softest and most sincere when it comes to speaking his love language.  The way in which he has grown in the past year has my hubby and I on our knees praising the God above for all of his provisions for this child.  His heart is guarded and his laughter pure.

I watch with true honesty and reality that this will not always be a rosy path.  I am perfectly aware that there are traps and side roads that may lead my children off for a bit.  But I have faith that the God of grace and mercy will never leave them and they will always know his love and truth.  Life comes down to this:  Jesus died for us, God gave his ONLY son for us, everything else is icing, gravy or whatever topping you like.

Thanks God for the gift of Matthew.  I am truly grateful to be a part of his life if only for what seems a split second in eternity.  God is good.  All the time.  All the time.  God is good.

1 comment:

mormonhermitmom said...

Amen. It's amazing how children can teach us how to love as He loves us, even if it's only in a small way

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails