Friday, April 10, 2009

Extravagant Worship

So after my last post this title must seem odd to some. You should know that helping others understand the term worship is important to me. Silence in some ways is a form of worship. "WHAT?!" you say. It is, try it, then make some noise in praise! Here it is. This is a good definition: Worship is to regard with ardent or adoring esteem or devotion. Yea, so...... To some worship is a time, it is something that takes place in a certain place and nowhere else. To most it is referred to as "worship time" (like you can differentiate between worship and non worship time.) OK, if I have lost you I apologize, but first things first. Worship in it's truest form is 24/7 and should be as constant as breathing. As involuntary as a heart beat. That is where we struggle with our spiritual journey for most. It becomes this outfit we change into on certain days, or the show we turn on at 8, or the dinner we fix twice a week or the family we visit twice a year on Easter and Christmas. Pick up your feet off the floor quickly, 'cause that may have hurt. Sorry. (Not really.)

I'm gonna let you in on a story. It's a story of a man. He woke in worship, slept in worship, did it all in worship to the one true God. One day he decided to throw a little dinner party for his closest friends. Now to his friends this was just another dinner to hang out and laugh and discuss theology, or laugh about theology! IDK. I'm sure they all brought a side dish to share and kicked off their sandals at the door. As they prepared that traditional passover meal one more time they were readying themselves for another meal. Jesus, however knew this was His last meal. You know, if anyone had a good excuse not to make it to a small group meeting, church event, church service, or whatever God puts out there to bless you with, it was Jesus. I wouldn't blame Him for callin' and sayin', "Hey look guys, I think I'm busy tonight, I need to go to the garden for a while and talk to Dad." But, He was there for you and me and them, even those who don't believe, He gave it up for us all. He knew that what was in store for Him was death on a cross for all humanity and our sinful nature. Those past sins, the present ones and the ones to come (yea, those would be mine). Whenever I try to think of a good excuse not to go to a function that glorifies God I am reminded of Jesus' ultimate sacrifice and decide that I can skip my plans and let God work through his.

I am trying out this 24/7 worship. I am taking my mind to that place. Yesterday, my plans were so rudely interrupted by what God had in mind and I must say, His plans were much better. I got to spend my day with the best looking, most wonderful 19 year old soul on the planet. Adam is my center, he keeps the pendulum swinging. He's a very cool human being! I also got to spend some time with my parents all to myself. I need that more often. I miss them and I see them a lot, but I miss my dad waking me up for chores and my mom cooking and me taking them for granted and leaving my clothes on the floor. I miss that. Thank you God for messing with my plan for the day and blessing me more than I ever could've dreamt.

So worship, like there's no earthly tomorrow. Give Him your best, your firsts, your all! After all, He did. Happy Easter!!!!!!!!


3 comments:

Alicia said...

AMEN!!!!

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!

Have a blessed Easter!

Alicia

Michelle said...

Wonderful, Have a blessed Resurrection Sunday!

mormonhermitmom said...

A beautiful message! Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails