Thursday, September 3, 2009

Homeschool attempt #5,432,000

Yes, I am a homeschool mom for two of my precious children. I have been doing this for one and a half years. The first year was a half year to finish off where they left of in public school and was success at laid back schooling to get the hang of it. The next year was a drowning attempt at trying to homeschool without a paddle. I must say that I kept going under and gasping for air and getting out of the pool and then jumping back in by not changing anything and expecting it to be different. Hmmmm....what is the definition of insanity? Oh yea! Anyway. We are starting our next year and I am timid and nervous and worried about screwing up my kids. Not in my definition but in the world around me. My kids are smart kids and wonderful kids and perfectly capable of doing all of this work on their own. They need guidance and I need to be able to give them that much.

So I ask for prayers and for ideas and for support. I ask that you approach this subject with as much care and concern you would have for a wounded animal....yea, I could strike at any moment! JK! I know what I am attempting to do could give them a head start in life in so many ways that they will not even understand until they are much older. I believe that the Lord is my saviour and that God created us and that we are His people made to care for this planet and everyone on it. That's it. That's my philosophy of life and that is what really matters. All of this other stuff is gravy.

I attended an awesome talk by MaryBeth Whalen tonight and was greatly inspired in the simplicity of it all. I know I overthink, like I'm giving birth for the first time and think that all of those books have more knowledge than my grandmother of 9 children. So here is a great activity for all of you moms, homeschool or not. Make a "what I do" list and "what I don't do" list.

Here's just a look into mine, be it all condensed:

I do:
laundry
my hair
cook
gardening
sing
teach my kids
devotionals
wow
small group
worship on sunday
love my kids, my hubby, my God
whine and moan

I don't:
do housework very well
eat bugs
grocery shop without whining
turn down a trip to starbucks often
do my nails; toes or fingers
ever know where I put my list

It's a list in progress and will change often I'm sure until I get it down to it's final draft. It's interesting when you start putting pen to paper about what you do and don't do. A tip from MB's hubby: List out your priorities and look at your to do list and if anything on their isn't on your priority list get it off of your to do list.

God Bless you all and your daily walk with your schedules and agendas and your life struggles and praises. God Bless you with peace!

P.S. My computer is being brought back from the dead soon from a miracle man! I can't wait! Soon I won't have to bootleg blog from someone else's computer!

2 comments:

mormonhermitmom said...

Mrs. Whalen has some pretty good stuff there. Thanks for the link! I'm glad you don't eat bugs;)
I am impressed you are homeschooling. It has crossed my mind occasionally, but I haven't ever looked at it seriously because ... well lets just say I think my kids have enough of me telling them what they need to do:)
But more power to you!

Anonymous said...

prayers for you!!! You are a great mom and extremely smart and you will do a great job with your kids. Your kids are awesome and smart. To the glory of God. You are the best! I love you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails