Thursday, June 23, 2011

Status Updated

I am a Facebook fanatic.  Not so much to let others know what it is I'm doing every second of the day, but really just to keep up with friends and offer encouragement when I can.  I take it on as a very different social media for me.  Some join to find their soulmate or to reconnect with old friends or for networking, etc.  I just like it because as I am locked away in my house most days it gives me a way to get out into the world while still sitting on babies and doing laundry.  Sometimes, however, things come across that just really put into perspective how we are all in different places in our lives, whether spiritual growth or just plain existing in society.  Here's the one that caught my eye today, names have been changed to protect the "friends" in my list:

Jane Doe Gooder: Ever done something nice for somebody and wonder why? I'm questioning myself right now!

Ok, let's get this straight. I used to live a life of "do", then wait for affirmation, then pat myself on the back, then do again and wait for more affirmation. But what happened for me was that when I didn't get the affirmation, my feelings got hurt, my heart hardened and I no longer felt like giving anybody anything. What was wrong with people didn't they understand the effort I put in to making their day better? Wasn't my gift amazing enough to deem a simple accolade? Then loud and clear in God's sweet and simple way, He asked the same of His gift to me. Wasn't my gift enough for you? But here is the difference. My attitude in giving was certainly not the same as the Heavenly Father's attitude of giving. He gave because He loved me. He gave because He wanted to give. I was giving to get, which is not giving at all.

Matthew 6:3-4 But when you give to the needy (or to those you love), do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing (give so often and so much that it becomes like breathing, involuntary), so that your giving may be in secret (even a secret from yourself). Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Forgive me for the parenthetical paraphrase, but it gets my point across through this scripture.  Like breathing, you don't think about EVERY breath you take until its hard to breathe.  I want to practice giving so I stop thinking about giving and it does not become hard to give.

So, update your spiritual status and let us all know "what's on your mind".  Imagine if Jesus had a facebook and recounted everything through his status.

"Ungrateful people.  Fed thousands then told them the Good News and they all left."

"Being crucified tomorrow.  Probably won't be on here for a while.  At least three days."

"Funniest thing happened today.  I walked on water and Peter fell in.  Too funny. LOL!"

Ok, probably not with that attitude, but ......

God bless your every breath today!

Love.









1 comment:

mormonhermitmom said...

"Like" ;)

Great thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails