Friday, August 7, 2009

Turn signals, changing lanes and all things hazardous to your health


I'm on my third one driving. Yea, my third teenage son has acquired a little plastic card from the state of North Carolina saying that he is allowed to plummet himself towards moving vehicles going 70 miles an hour down busy interstates with precious family members (me, oh yea, my hubby) in the car. Why is that anyway? How is this even a smart idea?

I don't remember much of the other two at this stage, eventhough it was only a couple of years ago for one and 4 for the other. I must have blocked it out, like PTSD or something. I've been in the DMV. I've stared into the eyes of the scary lady at the front desk. What makes them think that allowing a 15 yo CHILD to run amuck in a speeding torpedo is a learning experience? I tell you what, I am trying to be a calm presence in the car, but seriously? Did you just cut that truck off? The one hauling the trailer? "I didn't see it mom!" "You didn't even look!" "Move your head, turn it around so you can see the blind spots, don't just use the mirrors, are you looking, really, are you?" Yes, all said without stopping. OMgsh.

I really was calm. I was talking calmly and trying to reassure him that he was doing well and throwing in some pointers on why we don't cut people off going 65 and why it's a good idea to actually turn your head and not just count on your mirrors.

We were about 2 hours into this whole ordeal, I mean drive home, when I suddenly felt a cramp in my bicep. I replayed the last few days in my head wondering why I would be cramping up. Could it have been the coffee I was putting down? The 2 hour high impact aerobics? Are you kidding? I know the extra reps during my weight training? HA! Most likely the position I slept on the futon....But no, that wasn't it. Not that kind of pain. I looked down and realized I had a permanent death grip on my pillowcase. Poor pillow, it did nothing wrong. Wrong place, wrong time. I tried with everything I could to release my hand. I couldn't. My fingers and knuckles were white from the high intensity grip and the blood loss from that area. I finally convinced my digits that the time was right and the pillow was free. Ah, cramp gone, color back in my fingers.....

My dearest darling Elij is a beautiful creature that deserves so much more respect than I am giving him. I think the slideshow of my life flashing before my eyes just gave me the wrong impression of him. I shall try harder next time I ride with him. My dear husband, what did he see from the front seat of the car? Turkeys on the side of the road! Yea. I'm home for a long time now.

God Bless the man in the truck! Thank you God for my driveway. Thank you God for memories that do fade. Dear God pray for the next one who starts drivers ed in the winter. Thank you God!

4 comments:

mormonhermitmom said...

LOL! I have still a few precious years before we have to start down that road. I remember being that age. It was me and the stick shift. I killed it so often I never got to 70 mph. Hills were my nemesis.

Anonymous said...

I knew you guys were crazy!!!! I didn't get in the car with mine until they had time with my police officer hubby. Then the quiet mom (haha) can get in the car and help. I'm glad you guys got home fairly safe. I luv you!!!

soph1218 said...

Oh man does this bring back memories of riding with both Becki and Robert! I don't know how you have forgotten the 1st two it's lodged permanently in my brain. I know for me that muscle cramp came from hanging on to the OH SH*T bar in their cars, white knuckling that thing so hard I lost feeling in my digits... and pressing my imaginary brake so hard that my calf muscles hurt too! LOL And now the state of NC thinks Bethany is of proper age to get a plastic card with her pic on it saying she is authorized to drive. Boy what fun!?!? Here comes another gray hair. Sigh

Alicia said...

I still am a long way off from feeling the terror of what you have gone through, but I am dreading it just the same.

I remember thinking, when I was 15, "of course I should be able to drive. Duh!!"

15?? Are you kidding me?? AAAGGGHHH!!!

Shannon, put the pillow down, back away and no one gets hurt!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails