Monday, October 11, 2010

A fleeting moment, a warm breath on the cold air, lights go on and off in the darkness.  Things that make me understand that which haunts me more now than ever is the ever-so-small amount of time that this life offers us on this earth.  Store up treasures in heaven.  You can't take it with you.  Life's little lessons.  I hope I've checked them off one by one.  

My new favorite song by Revive is "Blink".  Some of the picture painted in each line of the song go something like this:
"It happens in a blink
It happens in a flash
It happens in the time it takes to look back

Slow down, slow down
Before today becomes your yesterday..."

I want the molasses days.  The days when I watched paint dry.  The times I wasted watching water boil.  When was that?  Oh yea, never.  The joy with five kids is that there is never a dull moment.  It also means that life tends to go by at such a speed that you don't realize how fast your going, officer.  It's like having my own little Maserati under the hood of my Excursion.  

Yesterday, John was two and climbing into my picnic basket and grinning from ear-to-ear. Saturday he leaves on a jet plane for the adventures of the west and life as he sees it.  Hanging out with the big bro, working like a dog and carving out the powder at Wolf Creek.  Hmmmm....... life is good.  I pray that the lessons stuck in his head and he will call on them from time to time.  I pray that God gently sets his feet on solid ground in the great state of Colorado.  I pray that he will know God deeper than he knows him now, which is pretty deep, by the way.  

So, in the wise words of my favorite 80's rock band, Styx, here is some last minute advice:



It's six o'clock
Good morning sounds are everywhere
The warmth of spring, a gentle breeze blows through my hair

I hurry through my life never stopping to see
How beautiful it was meant to be

I'm just a prisoner in a king's disguise
Broken dreams as we shuffle by

It's six o'clock it's quitting time I'm done for the day
Out on the streets I overheard a lady say
We now have everything or so people say
But now this emptiness haunts me every day
We seek the lion's share never knowing why
Come alive spread your wings and fly

Pieces of eight
The search for the money tree
Don't cash your freedoms in for gold
Pieces of eight
Can't buy you everything
Don't let it turn your heart to stone

(Air guitar solo here for approximately 2 minutes)

Pieces of eight
The search for the money tree
Don't cash your freedoms in for gold

Pieces of eight
Treasures filled with emptiness
Don't let it turn your heart to stone


2 comments:

Jen said...

I want those days too. The "molasses days." Good post Shan. Great post actually. Tell John I said have a great time and we're going to miss him :)

mormonhermitmom said...

I'll say I wanna slow down!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails