Wednesday, October 27, 2010

For real pretend-like

An overwhelming theme of "stop playing church" has reverberated my world over the past couple weeks.  Interesting how I've gone from coast to mountains in this time frame and it remains all around me.  I mourn for community at this point.  Why don't we like to hang together as friends, neighbors, church families, etc. anymore?  Have we busied ourselves right out of sincere relationships?  Is the closest person we have the teller at the bank or the lady in the drive-thru?  Not that they are very nice people, it's just that it seems as though many would rather have the convenient relationships rather that the ones that take work and frankly a little more time to nourish.  "I don't have time in my life to commit to so-and-so because little Jimmy has underwater basket weaving at four then tai-kwon-do-do at five, then our happy meals await on the way to my "how to simplify your life conference" so I won't be able to come to help you move your elderly mother into your home.  Can't you hire someone to help?"  Yes, I realize that seems a little dramatic and far-fetched, but in all honesty its not far off from the truth.  WE are the church.  Not the building or the temple or whatever you happen to gather in, but the people are the church.  The place where the Holy Spirit took root in your heart is where the sermons are spoken and the word of God is brought forth to the masses.  By reaching out to your neighbor and your friend and wanting to hang out with those in your church family.  I want to stop pretending and let people know how very much I care and love each and every one of them!  I want those around me to know the love of Christ in my life through my compassion for how their day went.  I want to be God with skin on. No more playing dress-up Christian, I want the real thing......

Just sayin'.........

What about you?  Any areas in your life you're tired of pretending? 


Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

 1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO true and we are seeing this mentality more and more! Just this week we had people tell us that they were "too busy" for this and too busy for that. Thanks for the reminder of where our priorities need to be!

mormonhermitmom said...

Oh you are so right. I guess sometimes I'm a pretend mom too. Too busy with housework to read to my little guy at times. Thanks for the wake up call.

Wendy Williams said...

Hello! I came upon your blog through a link from another one, and am compelled to thank you for this post. It is very true and something I know I could use more work on. I attend a small branch and there are often great acts of service, but also many who are too busy with their "to do" lists. I appreciate your comments! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails