Tuesday, January 5, 2010

20 years ago (posted late)




My life changed forever on December 21, 1989. Why? I became a mom. My life before that was full of, well, me and everything that pertained to making me happy. I was consumed by me. That came to an end on December 21, 1989. Not as a sad moment, but as one of the most wonderful events to ever bless my life.

There he was, fat and happy and the most beautiful lump of baby cheeks you could ever imagine! The sweetest fuzzy hair and big eyes and rolls of baby chubbiness expanding from his knees and elbows. He was here. Mr. Adam Nicholas Price made his entrance into the world and my life forever changed that day.

I was leaning pretty hard on the grace of God at this point, but once I became a mother the presence of the Almighty was something I depended on every second of every day from then on. You think you got it all handled at the age of 21, then life takes over and God's plan is revealed and you look with humbleness to the heavens and say, "Really, you think I can do this? Ok. Here goes." And with faithfulness and the mercy and grace God bestows on us when we don't deserve it, we do it.

I'm a mom. A mother. A somebody's mommy. Wow. Never in my life did I ever think I deserved a gift such as this. Adam was our first born. He broke us in. We did all of our parenting firsts with him. He did so well teaching us all we needed to know. And he was so patient about it too. God must've counseled him so well beforehand. We just kinda looked at each other and shrug our shoulders and hung on for dear life. Hoping we weren't gonna screw it up and leaning on God the entire way through. And we still do.

Adam is leaving. Yep, my baby is flying from the nest. While most birds fly where it's warmer, he is flying west where the cold wind blows through the ridges of the continental divide in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. He misses it there. He remembers how the cold winter weather warms your heart and fills you with a feeling of home. I will miss him so very dearly. I am ready for him to try out his wings, to make it his life and not mine. I know he will be fine. I know he will make excellent decisions. I know that God speaks to him on a regular basis. Let's hope that his ears are ready to listen, 'cause now my baby will do the leaning on the Heavenly Father for his life, while mom is at home hoping they are communicating on a regular basis.

Dear Father, be with my child, my son, my first born. Talk to him often, even when you know he isn't listening. Be with him every step of the way, even when it's steep and treacherous. I love you God and thank you for letting me be the one you loaned him to for this time. Thanks! Amen!

5 comments:

Alicia said...

That was so beautiful. I have no other words, except thank you for sharing your heart about your baby boy.

mormonhermitmom said...

No way you have one leaving the nest! Sounds like a great guy with a love of the outdoors! Best wishes to him going out in the world, and best wishes to the mom he leaves behind.

mormonhermitmom said...

BTW, thanks for being you, http://hermitmomscave.blogspot.com/2010/01/little-note-of-appreciation_07.html

* said...

Mormonhermitmom sent me here. I blame her completely! ;)

This is a sweet post. The last paragraph speaks such love, it wrenches my heart for the day when my children, too, leave the nest.

May you be and your son be strengthened every step of the way.

Anonymous said...

I remember the day he was born!!! He has always been such a joy!! And then 10 months later here came Noah! And when he is ready to leave the nest in a year I am hoping that you will be there to help me let him go! I love Adam as if he were mine and I pray everyday that this new journey he embarks on will fill him with joy. You are an incredible mom!! I will pray for your heart during this time, and that you feel God's arms holding you tight as you watch your baby fly!!! I love you dearly and love him dearly too!! Y'all have done good girl!! Along with God's help of course!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails