Thursday, January 21, 2010

!!!!!!?


The exclamation point. What an awesome piece of our grammar inventory. It's universal. It can be used in excitement, sadness, anger, joy, praise and so much more. It's a period with a cool stripey thing on top. It can create wrath when used with words that seem calm with a mere period. It can create elation when coupled with otherwise unseemingly dull verbage.

Example:

What do you want for dinner? (Easy, simple, to the point, innocent)

What do you want for dinner, (unfinished, confusing, uneasy pause)

What do you want for dinner! (wow, bad day, don't want to make dinner apparently)

I'm trying to be choosey about my grammatical endings as of late. I seem to be using commas where periods are best. I throw in an occasional semi-colon when I could just use a comma. But my overuse of this particular punctuation mark is the one that gets me in the most trouble.

I'm looked upon as mad, when in reality, its passion. I pull off being joyous and overjoyed when its so not that way, I just don't wanna get into it. And sometimes I'm just completely inaudible from the chaos that surrounds me, so I'm just making sure you heard me.

I must choose carefully how I emphasize. Where I should stop, pause or just let 'er rip.

Matthew 5:37

Simply let your "yes" be "yes" and your "no" be "no". Anything beyond this point comes from the evil one.

Thanks God. Thanks for the wonder in words. Thanks for the meaning in life. Thanks for the ? the ! and the , I love ya! Let me successfully implement Matthew 5:37 into my colorful vocab. You're worthy of such joyful praise. YOU are my exclamation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love ya!!!!!!! I mean it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails