Thursday, January 28, 2010

Me and the Kitchen





This is what I

woke up to: "In the

same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.

We do not know

what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words

cannot express."

Romans 8:26


Groaning was my prayer today and the Spirit was gonna have to speak for me, because my mother always said, "if you can't say anything nice.....". I was trying to remain faithful. I wanted my heart to change. I pleaded for that with the Almighty.

One thing ALWAYS leads to another in my home when it comes to cleaning, organizing, etc. I just wanted to know what food items I had hiding in the very caverns of my cabinets. The food budget was a bit low, actually at the nil mark. So we were gonna be eating whatever we had. Saffron rice with pancakes? Oooo, how 'bout lima beans and frozen potatoes. Or, I know, leftover taco meat with mac'n cheese. When I moved in I had lots of help putting things away where "they" thought they should go. Each item according to the individual helper. I loved having the help! But then, I just couldn't find anything. Which apparently was ok because I have never changed it around to suit me or common sense really.
So, I started dragging out things from everywhere to see what was still good. Tossing what was grossly expired, except my steel cut oats. I'll chance it. Well, this, of course led to actually vacuuming and wiping out of shelves and moving them up and down and then suddenly more room was available. Which lent itself to more organizing, cleaning, etc, etc, etc, (say that like Uhl Brenner). Anyway, four hours later, I sat back admiring my work and feeling quite accomplished....

Cabinets done, top and bottom. Under the stove, even. Top of fridge (not under).

I had started this process out of need for provision for the hungry bellies that would soon come to call and I got so much more out of it. In placing each item in its new place, some tighter than before. Knowing I would have to put them back exactly as they were before in order to fit, brought to mind a teachable moment for myself. I must be in the exact spot God wants me to be in my stillness and unused times. Thus, preparing myself for when I can be used again for His plan and His will. I must also be in the spot that was designed for me to be in. If not, then when I am needed noone will be able to locate where I might be. Sometimes not even me.
I am trying out this whole obedience stuff and am learning along the way to just do and shut up about it. Just do the little stuff so that God can work with me on when and where He may ask me to go next.

So this is how it ended:

Exodus 14:14 The LORD will fight for you while you keep silent."

In other words, "I got it girl, shut your mouth."

He does. He provided for me in a way today that I will never forget, well, at least I hope not. My heart is lighter. My heart is warmer. My heart....well, it's changed.

Thank you Heavenly Father for your EVERY provision in my life. For your patience with me. For your gentle nudging when I deserve a shove. For your wonder working powers to remind me that no human is in control. It can be only you. I love you and your love for little 'ol me. I definitely feel blessed and completely taken care of. Thank you.

P.S. I found dinner in there. Omelettes and hashbrowns and fruit and applesauce. And Breakfast! Muffins, abound! I love provision.

4 comments:

mormonhermitmom said...

Feels good to cleanse the cabinets and one's soul at the same time! I'm grateful for God's sustenance too.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I love you!!

Elizabeth said...

write a blog post....NOW. 4 days is too long.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to come home and stay for at least a week in order to find things!!!! I love you lots sister!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails