Friday, December 11, 2009

Time to be the "older women"

Wordle: titus 2


"I don't want to grow up I'm a toys r us kid". How many of you remember that slogan for the toys r us commercial? I sing it like a mantra most of my adult life. Growing up has always been scary and daunting and, well, just seemed down right boring, like you just gave up and now.....you're old.

However, I have realized more of late that I have enough gray hair oozing out of my follicles to justify me being in the old club. Don't get you're granny panties in a wad, I'm not saying you're old if you have gray hair. What I am saying is that my maturity (or lack there of) is staring back at me in the mirror, or being pointed out by my closest family and friends.

My bestest girlfriends that I love dearly are a living example of the following verse in Titus:

Titus 2: 3 - 5
Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

You see, there are 18 years between the youngest and oldest of our threesome and the one in the middle is ten years older than the younger and, well, if you can do math, 8 years younger than the oldest. Anyway, sometimes in the group we change roles. Like the younger one acts and is more mature than the other two, and vice versa at other times.

I have been convicted in reading this passage because I have always considered myself to be the "younger women" in this verse. Like I would never grow up and have to take on the responsibility, God given as it may be, to be the "older women". But now, I think I must face the fact that even if I remain young at heart and bubbly and lively and outgoing that I must also incorporate "reverence, self-control, purity, busy at home, etc." to my grown up repertoire. Although, I don't ever think I will lose my sense of humor or tone down my personality, I can certainly be more aware of the "younger women" in the room and still live a very Christian life within the boundaries of the "older women" example set forth in the Word.

Our group of three has friends on either side of our age that we converse with and glean from and pray, worship, love with, so there are plenty of opportunities for the body of Christ to be always teaching and learning and growing and moving from one generation to the other in our spiritual growth.

Dear God, I pray that I will be a living example of the "older women" and an anxious learning spirit of the "younger women" and continue to grow in love with you. Please continue to remain patient with me and show mercy and grace when I slip up and act like a child or when I give up and act as though its my last days and I'm just too tired. Lord, be with my friends wherever they are in my chronological line of comrades and help us to grow together in love for you and your glory. Jesus, I love ya! Happy Birthday this Christmas season! Amen!!!

2 comments:

mormonhermitmom said...

And that's what true sisterhood is all about. Love your Christmas playlist by the way!

Elizabeth said...

Agreed. Very lovely post. I'm trying on my humble, self-controled, reverent, and busy at home attitude :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails