Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What the World needs now, is ______ sweet_____!

You know you're singing that song, it's now stuck in your head. I'm sure you've filled in the blanks already with the appropriate word. "LOVE". SWEET LOVE.

My family and I have the distinct pleasure in being on the same planet as a wonderful missionary, Debbie. I have known Debbie all of my life. Her mom and mine were college roommates and my big sis, Mel, and Deb were the same age and have shared a kindred spirit all of their lives as wonderful friends. Although our families did not live in close proximity, we lived close in our hearts.

Debbie is a wonderful woman and a gracious one. She would not approve of my high accolades in what she does and how she lives her life, but I'm givin' 'em anyway because she is an inspiration to me. You see, Debbie is a missionary with AIM in Kenya. You may say, ok, I know some of those, great people.... and? Well, Debbie has been a missionary since she graduated college. She has been in Africa for 20+ years. Her first teaching gig was in the Congo. As some of you may keep up with African history, the Congo has not been the most peaceful place to live. She evacuated under some tense situations there in the past, not to belittle by leaving it at that, but I cannot do the story justice trying to explain the adrenaline rush one must get by fleeing. She has also been in villages close to Nairobi when she once again had to evacuate quickly. She keeps her candle burning in Africa. She is home when she is in Africa.

I questioned her about her decision at such a young age to become a missionary to Africa, a country she had never visited. Debbie knew at that time that God was calling her for mission work in a country where she could use her French speaking skills. She followed that calling and all resources and heartbeats led her to Africa.

I had to know for me, what impressed upon her not to retreat to the states after two times of fleeing areas she called home? Debbie recalls a time when she first lived in Africa and visited a couple who were missionaries, interpreters. Although she did not know when they had time to be interpreters because they had people knocking on their doors all hours of the day and night seeking help, refuge, comfort, etc. These interpreters spent their time serving, not some, not a few, not this one or that, but all of those people. Debbie remembers lovingly, and tearfully thinking, "I want to live here long enough to love the people of Africa THAT much!" WOW! What a testimony. What an embarkment into the Kingdom mentality so many of us long to know, to experience just once, but for some it's a Kingdom lifestyle. I want to live on this earth long enough to LOVE people THAT much. Thank you Deb, you are a blessing to all of the lives you touch. God Bless you and His mission for you! I LOVE YA!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails