Tuesday, May 19, 2009

No more spy signal

Yes, I was at it again. My covert experiments. Where I submerge myself in everyday tasks with the public with my own agenda just to see what will happen. I picked this.....driving within the rules of the road. Not my rules, or yours, but the rules according to the handbook for drivers. Yes, I know, you're impressed with my skills to continually live on the edge and take risks. If you lived here you would know that every time you get into a car and decide to get on the interstate you are livin' on the edge, spittin' in the face of death, laughing at fear!
I learned really quickly that the best way to tick off your fellow man is to drive the speed limit. It would seem as though I had a horse and buggy on the I and was pulling a donkey to boot. I came to appreciate things like a full stop at a stop sign that nearly sent one car careening into my back bumper. He was trying to draft me anyway maybe to save on gas, IDK. How long has it been since you've stopped, really stopped, threw your head to the seat back stopped? Ok, I guess it's just me then. It was rather invigorating.
Next I moved on to the ever unpopular turning on of the turn signal when actually making a turn. This has always been something I have tried to do on my not so risky days. I have noticed that most of the newer model cars have "spy signals" in them where they aren't allowed to divulge the direction of their destination or they'd have to kill ya. It's only for them to know....sssshhh......
Needless to say, I did not make any friends on the road today. Quite disappointing, really. I did however realize that I can do it. Obey the speed limit, use appropriate driving behavior, etc. My heartrate slowed, I didn't seem to feel as though I was in such a hurry. I wasn't having to look over my shoulder to see if the cops were sitting there watching me roll through the stop sign.
I know this may seem so meaningless to some of you. It's just a way for me to put to work my obedience in my every day tasks. Knowing my limits, boundaries and rules and then knowing that I can respect them all. Maybe this will rub off in other parts of my life. My eating, exercising, devotionals, studies, housework, God's work, marriage........you see where I'm going with this? You know, God laid out those rules in that handy dandy book that we can use as reference at anytime. I know I've rolled through a few of His Almighty stop signs and sped through those school zones of heavenly commandments. I've got a lot to learn about restraint and how to apply it better. I'm working on it. 'Til then, when you pass the crazy lady on the interstate going the speed limit, don't just wave with one finger as most do, give me a thumbs up so I know you might be praying for me.
Heavenly Father, I'm yours. Take my life and order my steps daily. I want to walk in YOUR ways not my own. I want to do YOUR work and YOUR will. Gently remind me who is in the driver's seat, but please don't revoke my license. I love you Lord!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Great post! Funny, but with good reminders. Thanks!

mormonhermitmom said...

A good message! I can't remember all the rules in the handbook, so I'm sure I'm missing some.

Together We Save said...

Loved it! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails