Friday, May 1, 2009

Help Wanted?

Ok, so my son's girlfriend is home for the summer from college. She's the cutest thing since ..... IDK.... beanie babies! Anyway, all of those who are around her, me, Adam, her family, have been telling her to hit the pavement as soon as she gets home to look for employment. In any other year this would be a simple task, but not now. She has an advantage to most because her school gets out so much earlier than most.
So off she went, very trepidacious. She's never done this before because she's always had a "job" filing and such at her mom's work, but now it's time for a job with a little more hours and a lot more dough! I saw a place this a.m. with a "Help Wanted" sign and was so excited I could pass it along. Very cute boutique downtown! I passed it along and off they went. The owner asked her how old she was and Misstina let her know that she was 18. "Oh, no, no. That won't work. I have an 18 year old daughter and she just can't handle it. So I'm sure this won't work for you," she says. Misstina was very unsure of how to handle that one. As I would be. It says so much, though. First of all, wow, her daughter must be a winner! This boutique is no bigger than my living room with maybe 30 pieces of clothing and some accessories! Poor girl. Then I tried to console Tina and tell her that if the owner openly berates her daughter to the public without her daughter being present that maybe the owner's people skills weren't all that good. Plus, if you can't have faith in the way you're raising your own kids then maybe you shouldn't be working with the public. I mean seriously, she's had 18 years with her daughter and she is overwhelmed by a closet full of clothes? Somethin' ain't right there! Please if you have a business be open to the fact that not every young person is a dweeb like the ones in your home! Tina is an awesome worker and and awesome person and a great 18 year old well above her maturity level in so many ways! I hope she's not too discouraged on her first try looking for a job. Pray for her to find a place. Pray for her to find a safe place. Pray for all of our teens looking for employment. Pray for the store owner who turned down the best worker ever! Her loss!
Thank you God for putting us in the midst of the most wonderful people in our lives! Thank you for Tina and her life. Thank you for her cherishing of my wonderful son. Thank you God for the right job coming along, I know it's out there! Thank you God!

2 comments:

mormonhermitmom said...

I admire teens for wanting to earn their own way. I sure hope she finds something she can do and like. I think my 18th summer was delivering newspaper bundles to paper boys and filing for dad. My hubby did Burger King at that age. Boy what we do for work experience!

Alicia said...

Wow, yeah, totally not who she would want as her employer. Still, it had to sting a little. I'm sure she will find a great gig where people will appreciate her and she will make lots and lots of dough! Good luck Tina!

Alicia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails