Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Day - Cuz Every Day is Mom's Day


My mom is the most wonderful mother on the planet!  I know, I know, you're saying that your's is and blowing me off, but I know I'm right on this one.  She put up with a lot of @#$% from me growing up.  Again, I know your saying, "no, not you."  Yea, I was a preacher's kid and a loud mouthed, back talking, rude teenager with no respect for anyone, including myself.  And yet, she loved me through it, hopefully with a bottle of wine over scripture!  I was so horrible.  Then Jesus and I talked about it one day in my twenties and I realized he was probably right, I should change my attitude, especially towards my mother.  My mom is the most patient individual I know, except when it comes to mail on the counter or throwing things away that shouldn't be and hauling them to the garbage outside never to be seen again by man.  I love my mother.  I love her laugh.  I love the way she loves my dad.  I love the way she gets in a snit and stomps her foot on the floor.  I love the way she loves my children and about pees her pants being around them and their funniness.  I love her love for my Jesus and her Savior.  I love that she loves me.  


Here is an email that she sent me on my birthday in my email and I thought I would share:  

"Shannon,  Sending this HAPPY BIRTHDAY wish to you tonight hoping you will open your email in the morning and see it first thing and know that we are thinking of you!  41 years ago Grandma and Grandpa Dumford were spending time with us to be there when you were born...and to keep Warren and Melissa occupied while I went to the hospital.  You and Sarah had the same idea, to come when YOU wanted to and not when the doctor said you would.  The day before you were born, a Sunday, Grandma and I stayed home from church and while I waited for everyone to come home I painted my nails, sat on the back door steps in the sun, took a leisurely shower and washed my hair,  checked my bag for the hundredth time to be sure I had everything I needed to go to the hospital, and such.  When everyone came home from church we ate lunch and then went to Freedom Park to walk around the "lake" several times, feed the ducks, and get the exercise that would help convince you to arrive soon.  You got the message!  Shortly after going to bed Sunday night I was up again and on the way.  Once you decided to come, you didn't waste any time getting here and what a beautiful baby you were!  We didn't know if you'd be a girl or boy - surprise was the way it was done in those days.  How happy we were to see you!  Not long after you were born we bought a house...our first, on Kenmore Avenue in Charlotte.  We loved it there, and lived there until you were 5.  Good memories.  Hope your birthday is beautiful all day long!
 
We love you.
Mom and Dad"

And here is a just one of many stories about why I love her:

Phone rings.

me - hello?

mom and dad promptly sing me Happy Birthday in harmony!

me - thanks!

mom - well, I also have a story for you that I think you're old enough to here now.

me - (oh crap, am I adopted?  Do I have a twin?  Was a hatched?  Was a third arm removed from me right after birth?  All questions that ran through my head, but I said.....)  OK?

mom - well, when you were born and we brought you home.  Your oldest brother Warren came in to see you with his friend.  Now, Warren was approximately 4 years old so he was pretty little.  He was so excited to see you and introduce you to his little friend.  Well, after they visited with you they went outside and Warren's friend told him, "Warren, your sister is awful puny.  She's gonna die."  Warren came running in from outside crying his eyes out.  He wouldn't leave your side for the longest time, worried you were going to die.  Hahaha.  Isn't that funny?

me - Gee, thanks mom!  

I must admit the story is pretty funny and thank goodness no extra appendages had to be removed!
I love you, Mom!
I am so blessed that God put you and I together in the same body to be nurtured and loved for nine months so that you could be my mom for eternity!  God is so good, don't ya think?

Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

mormonhermitmom said...

That's an awesome story! Hope your big brother got over that okay. :)

Adam said...

You know Grandma actually told this story to me a couple weeks ago. I guess I just all of a sudden got old enough to hear it as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails