Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm weird, socially awkward and politically incorrect, duh

All that to say, "what the heck is up with homeschool groups anyway?"  I mean, really, I just don't get it.  I suffered through two years of NOT joining a full fledged group, because I was scared of being rejected in a situation where a bunch of females my age point and laugh and giggle at my expense (unresolved middle school, high school issues aside).  I also didn't join because it was unclear which one was a good fit for my family.  It's hard to crack the code for homeschool groupery knowledge.  I've even thought of calling up some of my hubby's Navajo buddies to see if they could take a stab at maybe some code talking to get me in the right one.  Not happening, apparently the natives are scared too.

I ventured out this year, because my bestest had such a wonderful experience last year with her group that I thought I should be proactive and get out there and realize that I could relate to some of these ladies on some level in order to glean important life changing tidbits on how to homeschool my kids.  

Um..... well..... I still am having a really hard time getting "in".  I joined a group that has been rumored to be geared more to high schoolers and their needs solely based on the demographic of those who come, of course, and I thought, "yes!  I need that."  So, I went to said website and joined ....in June.  Now, their first meeting wasn't until last night, but I had been receiving emails in the last week about how classes were getting full and some were on a waiting list, yadda, yadda, blah, blah.  I thought for sure that this must have been for a younger group since I had not received any notifications on class schedules to choose from.  Uh-uh.  You see, just because you join the "group" doesn't mean you join the "co-op", but you must be a member first of the "group" in order to be a part of the "co-op" or to get on the waiting list for classes.  But noone filled in this newbie of how you're supposed to find out this little bit of info until last night when the nice lady was laying out the rules about the "group" and the "co-op".  "Just because you join the "group" doesn't mean you have joined the "co-op" and your duties for each are separate so don't think you're getting out of volunteering to do a job in the "group" or the "co-op" or either-or, because they are separate."  
I waited patiently for the interpreter to stand and tell me what the heck she was saying.  Then the nice lady was gone and no information on the "co-op" was given.  

I have come to think it is actually a secret society where you must be invited in based on your social structure, age of your dog, color of your mother's eyes and whether or not you breastfed as an infant.  Seeing how I was not wearing my LLL (boobie club) patch last night I guess I was out of the loop.  But I did learn a very important lesson about the "group"! 
Brace yourself, hold on to your hats.....
Very important, most important rule of all rules, 

never, 

never, 

never, 

never, 

never, 

never, 

never, 

never 

hit the "reply" button on the yahoo groups 
because that just jams up 
the coordinators' email inboxes and well, frankly they don't have the time to sift through it all whilst lighting ceremonial candles, ironing long black hooded capes, applying face paint and marinating the days sacrificial meat before the "secret society" meeting, of which I am not involved.

I have joined another group, that looks a little more informative about classes, but maybe should not be considering the only class for my tomboy daughter for period 2 is Lego building or sewing a skirt.  What she wouldn't give to play Legos all day, but really, I don't have to pay to do that when she can do it at home with her bestest, "Eagle" and friends, for free.

We did finally, after 5 years of involvement give up our LOGOS program for the fall due to budgetary reasons, but I can't tell you how liberated I feel to have another day to actually spend with my kids.  So, since I've not been picked for the "team" or "group" for group #1, and not sure how we're gonna handle group #2 and no more Wednesdays at LOGOS and not sure about Thursdays, I think I will actually have time to, yes, you guessed it, homeschool my kids at, yes, you guessed it again, home.

Thank you God for the blessing of hanging with the Price peeps once again!  I am a spoiled momma!  I love the way you love me, Lord!

P.S.  I did btw enjoy a remarkable speaker last night.  Her name is Rachael Carman and she and her husband homeschool their 7 kids and own Apologia.  She is a phenomenal speaker and would encourage you to sell one of your kidneys to go see her speak.  (I hear the "secret society" pays big for kidneys.  Just sayin'.)

5 comments:

Jen said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Stupid secret societies. You know who those women are? They are the ones that were in the right "clique" in highschool and they now suffer from a case of denial that our world has moved on without them and we have become the awesome ones and they're left with their sad, long forgotten memories of when they once "ruled the school." I know, I know...sad but true.

Elizabeth said...

truer words have never been spoken.

Momof5 said...

Wow, Jen, tell me how you really feel about high school! Hahahaha! Just another reason why I'm homeschooling! LY!

mormonhermitmom said...

And I thought Back to School night was bad! LOL

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly...that's insane! I say just do your thing, homeschool your kiddos and in the off time let them hang out with friends, etc. I have not been impressed with the majority of homeschool "groups" or "co-ops" I have seen but have FABULOUS relationships with friends that homeschool on their own....just sayin!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails