Monday, November 8, 2010

Say it isn't so.....oh, yea, it is!

So, I eluded to my new venture in my last post and some of you already caught on to my mysterious ways!  Cheeky little devils!  

Yes, I'm goin' vegan.  Food-wise, not in my closet.  I will still drive my car with leather seats and wear my furry coat to church (kidding, I don't have a fur coat).  It has now been about a week (with the exception of my hubby making me a grilled cheese sandwich, which I felt obligated to eat) since I went dairy free.  Then a day later, no meat or meat bi-products.  Please don't call me crazy or throw a fit like my husband does when I say "no meat". He doesn't even know I've made this change anyway, so shhhhhh, don't tell.  It's not hard for him not to notice little things like what I am shoveling in my mouth or whether or not I got a haircut or bought a new shirt or went out of town.  Ok, that last one is a bit of an exag, but you get the point.  

Why?  Why, or why would someone give up the peppered bacon that resides in a cheesy tortilla melt, and forgo the cheese, too?  What up?  Everyday.  Not once in a while.  Everyday, I wake up tired, sore, fuzzy thoughts and depressed.  There are other issues that are much too personal to post here, but it's putting a relationship in jeopardy, and it's probably one of the top two MOST important reasons I am making the change.  Too bad you'll never know what it is.  The other is this, God has ordained in me the piece that is supposed to be active.  Not go to the gym or run a 5k, but to be active in His body of believers and reach out to those who don't know him.  Well, you know what, I don't feel like it 98.9% of the time.  I love God.  I like hanging out with his peeps and one day hope to actually go on a mission trip, local or far, far away.  But I have hindered the process of purposeful living by filling myself full of junk.  I am an emotional eater, I'm a procrastinator, as well.  Somedays I forget to eat until 2 p.m. or get busy and don't have time to eat til then.  Other days, I wake up depressed and start eating everything in sight until I go to bed which depresses me, so there you go again.  I have tried so many different things in the past to help me out, but never been able to follow through.  Hence my last post.  Now, I really need this to be my lifestyle.  Pray for me, because it won't work for me for too long if I can't have the support of my family, and right now the men are all ravenous carnivores.  I have done some research found some recipes and sites with pre-made shopping lists (yes, I'm that lazy).  I have actually found several recipes that I have already made for the fam and dinner guests, without their knowledge, that was both dairy free and meat free and they liked them.  Go figure.  Anywho.  I am already seeing the difference in my headaches going away and not waking up with them.  I am not depressed in the a.m. like I was before a week ago.  I am still sore, but not nearly as much, but that just means I need to go see my favorite chiropractor.  My brain is still fuzzy, but not nearly as much as it has been.  I know it sounds weird, but it was so bad.  

I do not feel like I am depriving myself of anything.  It hasn't been that hard so far.  I actually can't wait to put this whole part of my life behind me and get on with living!  My bad behavior in this area was out-of-hand and needed repair.  No more letting my bad habits control my walk with Christ, on the path, off the path, on the path, etc.  THIS particular area will no longer be the issue, clearing the way for other more bad habits I've been hiding maybe....oh, I hope not!

I want to live fully in God's will, but I find myself shirking away from duties I know I am to do, because of my fatigue and my health in general.  If I am to be a productive Christian I need to get myself in gear and stop letting my body and my lifestyle get in the way.  It really is to take the emphasis OFF of food and weight issues for me and free me up to be completely and utterly distracted with Jesus!

I am not suggesting that by reading this you will automatically need to do the same, by no means!  We are all different in our journeys with Christ and it is up to us to identify those areas that keep us from doing His work in our lives that He calls us to do.  Is there an area that you can improve in your life that will free you up to do God's work more?  Let me know and I will pray for you in that journey as well.  Please, please, please keep me in your prayers to follow through and change my lifestyle.  I will need all the help I can get!  God bless your journey!


1 Peter 4:11
If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will definitely be praying for you Shannon. You will do great because HE has called you to it and HE will see you through it!

Jen said...

You go girl! I got your back and I'm praying for ya :)

Tanya Kummerow said...

Shannon, you are in my prayers. So much of what you just said is the basis of my vegan-ways...I like animals, and I'm against factory farming and all that, but it really isn't about animal rights for me. I am so excited to see how this new change will affect your life, I know that God will only work great things in you. You constantly amaze me and I look up to the wonderful, spiritual woman of God that you are! Trust me when I tell you, at some point, being vegan will become auto-drive. It may not solve all your problems, but being vegan has helped me to form a better relationship with the food that I eat. Keep at it!

mormonhermitmom said...

Well I'm praying for you! I need to something of that nature but I haven't felt the "push" to get going or to keep going yet. If you find recipes the carnivores like, post them please! I could always use some dinner hints.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails