Wednesday, March 11, 2009

No thanks...

Ok, so you know I am always saying how my kids totally amaze me, continually, constantly, wow. They are so wonderful to so many people. I love to hear about my kids from others. It's one thing to have a view of your children, which is usually a biased one, but to have that affirmation from someone outside the family tell you about how great your kids are is so refreshing.

I must confess that I am a doubter. Not of my children, but of myself. I am constantly doubting what it is that I am to be doing in my life and how to achieve that. Then comes the random phone call or the compliment from someone we've never met, but who have heard about my boys. Interesting. Humbling that your children are living their lives the way God has intended as I sin day after day in doubt.

David has always encouraged our children to have a work ethic chock full of integrity and be willing to use it when necessary, even without pay. He has instilled this in them from a very early age and when they were young they couldn't understand why you would do something and not take money for it. An odd concept, especially in the 2008 society. But here we are in 2009 and the world is a different place. Those who could pay last year, can't pay this year. Those who need help desperately can't pay. So what are we called to do?

You know way back when, in the wagon train days of the west, there was always a pastor, minister, priest for the local folks. How were they cared for? How did you compensate for their service? Most were taken care of by their congregation who made sure that every need was taken care of. Like a live chicken, a freshly baked loaf of bread, a newly sewn shirt, shoes, plowing, harvesting, sowing, etc. Not like the tithing of today where we put $$ in a basket and say "live on it and it's all up to you and if its not enough, tough, I'm not given anymore than what's required." Ok, so we all don't say that, but are we aware of our neighbor's needs?

Things are so different now when people are used to the facade of "everything's fine", "don't worry about me" when we all know that most of the time we're just afraid to let people know we have a need it may look weak or something.

My children have become very observant about needs and concerns in the lives around them and they act on them. When asked and they aren't otherwise committed they will help. With smiles, with gratitude, with grace, with humility and refusing compensation, saying "No thanks, that's not why we did it." I have a lot to learn from my children.

I have decided to give away live chickens if anyone needs one....just kidding. I will however bring you dinner or bake you something if you're hungry or just know someone who is. I hope that God is blessing you in ways you never dreamed of today!

3 comments:

mormonhermitmom said...

A good reminder for us all.

Alicia said...

Your kids sound like wonderful people who we can all take examples from. Great job mom & dad!

Elizabeth said...

you can bring me dinner :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails