Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Is Child Rearing Job Security for Therapists?

Wow, it has come to me just how much I am having to redo, back up, retrain my kids in howI have attempted to raise them. Think about how many things we have to undo as our kids grow up that could've been so easy to avoid had we thought about it a little more when they were growing up. Or, I know, listened to those who are doing it well already.

For instance, my oldest is my pickiest eater! If I could have a redo on something it would be this one. He was such a picky eater when he was a toddler that I thought he would die if I didn't give in to his whining and crying for his Chunky Pot Roast Soup. It has veggies, right? I did everything to validate that this was a good choice and the fact that he was eating it every meal, yes, breakfast, lunch, and dinner was good right? Not exactly a great choice for a meal, but better than Cheetos and a Dr. Pepper. (Wonder if your insides turn the same color as your fingers do when eating Cheetos? I've seen what Dr. Pepper does to a peanut, too.....)

Then as I was enjoying a nice respite in the drizzle after our 4 1/2 mile hike yesterday on the parkway, I overheard a grandmother strike down the unruly behavior of her grandids as they were trying to "get wet" in the rain. I know it's hard to believe that a child would desire to experience the oddity of dripping rain on their skin. Like a retreiver waiting for their master to throw the ball, these kids were aching for a little taste of heaven to fall on their fingers. Ok, let me say, there was NO lightning and thunder and it was a nice light rain. I'm thinking that maybe these kids were dressed in some sort of dissolving clothing that when wet disappears, which of course would only be offensive to those not related to them. What could be better than dancing naked in the rain, right? I should've checked this out as to cut down on my laundry responsibilities. I so want for disposable clothing and my kids just don't feel right in surgical scrubs. They say people give them weird looks.......huh! Paper clothes! So then later in life when these kids are grown and want to experience the feel of the rain on their faces will they first go through the agony of reclaiming their childhood through shock treatments? I know, that's extreme, but come on, think about it. If they get dirty, most places in the U.S. have the means to wash one's child fairly clean. If they get wet, they dry, it's rain not antifreeze.

I feel confident that I have done many, many things wrong while raising my kids thus far and will probably screw them up some more before I die. It's my job. It's my life's work. Embarassment and agony are the goal. I am preparing them for real life, correct? This is nothing. So come on feel the rain on your face and let the kids get wet. Jump in a puddle or two and maybe smear a little mud on their face.

Thank you God for your enduring mercy and grace in our lives and our kids lives and our parenting skills. Help us to stay focused on you and your will for their lives and keep them fairly straight on the path to you. Forgive us for the wrong turns and the misguided advice. We love you! We praise you! AMEN!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails