Monday, November 9, 2009

Mediocrity

So, mediocre... what is it? Is it a vegetable, no that's okra..... Is it a color? Is it a state of being? Is it a lifestyle? Could it be you? Could it be your work environment? Could it be your worship environment? Is it not worth discussing? It's just too demanding and hard to fix so let's just leave it and get away from this situation. And thus, mediocrity grows ten-fold. It's a tricky little disease. It gets in without anyone knowing it and starts to eat away at you, your friends, your environment and before you know it, it has taken over.

In the world today, so many are used to getting something for nothing. Not having to sacrifice time or talent to obtain much. It's a practice that has marinated our souls deep into our beings becoming a part of who we are in every aspect of our lives. The bible gives instruction on quality when it comes to living our lives as Christ did, but we don't follow completely. We make adjustments, justifications, etc. according to the differences in biblical times and modern times and the differences between cultures and denominations. It remains the same no matter what time period or cultural background you hail from. God wants your all. God wants your best. God wants you to bring it. Can you imagine if a starting quarterback for an NFL team showed up to Monday Night Football and just said, "You know coach, I just don't feel like it tonight. I mean, I'll go out there and throw it, but don't ask me to do anything else, I just don't want to. I specifically had it written in my contract that if I totally don't feel like playing that I can play the worst game ever and you still pay me millions. Got it?" Hmmmm. I don't know if that is too far fetched really.

It starts within your heart. I'm sorry, let me say it again...it starts within YOUR heart. Let it get your blood pumping when you don't bring your best to throw yourself on the floor and beg for mercy and forgiveness for not bringin' it to the field. We're not messing around here anymore. Jesus DIED for you. Jesus didn't take a hangnail for you and me, he DIED, and I can't seem to bring myself to bring my best to the table? What the stars is wrong with me? Besides monthly hormones and the obvious physical hurdles, I should want to lose weight and be the healthiest disciple I should be for the one who died for me to be fat. Seriously? Why am I so ok with mediocrity? Why do I refuse to do anything about my own mediocrity while pointing out others mediocre leadership? I cannot do anything about them except live my life in such a way that striving to do excellence becomes the goal and not just being mediocre because that's what everyone is doing so it must be ok. Surely excellence breeds excellence at a higher rate of speed and metabolic rate than mediocrity does, right? Let's give it a try, shall we? We must be very careful to not be so ok with mediocre that those around us assume that it is what life is all about. If I continue to speak the hope of the Jesus Christ in my life but continue to be less than what God has gifted me to be, then my hope is not in Him, but in me. Do I really think that God doesn't know or doesn't care that I don't bring it?

I will stand no longer for the lie that its ok for me to justify why I don't bring my best to the throne room. I will no longer keep becoming this half done Christian. No more mediocre motivational speaker. I want to do my best, and to be honest with myself and my God about what my best really is. I want to check in with the coach upstairs and make sure I am leaving no stone unturned for any reason. I have been given a commission, a GREAT one. My Christ died for me to follow Him and His will not my own. People are lost because I have turned out the light during the darkest times.

Dear God please forgive me! Thank you for your mercy and grace in my absent mindedness. Lord, don't let another person pass my way without knowing the hope and peace that lies within you. Help me to bring it every time. Help me to know that even in my down days that I can still bring my best for you. My best is not perfect, I know that. My best is different from my friends' best, please help me not to compare. Lord, my best is what you deserve. I am so sorry for keeping it from you and your work and your will and your lost sheep. Here I am Lord, use me!

Philippians 4:8

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

I Chronicles 21: 22-24

22 David said to him, "Let me have the site of your threshing floor so I can build an altar to the LORD, that the plague on the people may be stopped. Sell it to me at the full price." 23 Araunah said to David, "Take it! Let my lord the king do whatever pleases him. Look, I will give the oxen for the burnt offerings, the threshing sledges for the wood, and the wheat for the grain offering. I will give all this." 24 But King David replied to Araunah, "No, I insist on paying the full price. I will not take for the LORD what is yours, or sacrifice a burnt offering that costs me nothing."

2 comments:

mormonhermitmom said...

When you're right, you're right. Guess I gotta get off my duff.

Anonymous said...

Be satisfied that TODAY I did my best to live in Christ...did my best to treat my body as the temple..did my best to treat others around me with all the love in my heart....It doesn't matter what the scale says or what neighbor "Jones" says...the pay off should be the smiles and laughter of those you encounter within the day. The smile on your own face as you look at yourself in the mirror and say, "God loves me...I feel the love and with him all things are possible!" Feeling good is so much more than the size jeans you wear...but knowing that you are living your life thru Christ and you are showing His love thru you toward those around you...after that everything else should fall into place....
You are very gifted and I love you...keep writing so those around you can smile, laugh, and ponder!!You write the book and AJ and Whit can take the pics...I'd buy it!!!! Keep the faith, love, and smiles in your heart always! Luv ya sis!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails