Sunday, September 5, 2010

"Fall"ing in love, again

I love September.  

It's where Summer starts packing it in..She gathers her habanero days and eventually heads south for some anticipation of spending the rest of the year in the tropics. 

 It's when autumn promises to come for a visit and unpack her yummy days, made up of cool nights and brisk mornings, into the deep recesses of our dresser drawers.  Thus, coaxing those musty, dusty sweaters out of hiding.  She invokes dusk-time parties of roasted marshmallows by the billowing bonfires and days of sunshine that call serenely to you to lay in the grass and inhale the sweet scent of earthen hues falling on the trees.  Anxiously awaiting the fireworks of falling leaves to beckon in the woolen wardrobe to the front of the closet.  

It's when all the world comes together for me.  My heart aligns with my brain and all is glorious.  I'm a mountain girl living it out in the Piedmont for now, but my heart belongs to the Blue Ridge Mountains and the harrowing, yet symphonic song of the Rockies.  

It's the time of year when all of those ignored summer pounds go hidden behind over sized sweatshirts and you dig out the socks that have been neglected to don hiking boots and furry jackets with chin kissing zippers.  
Orange oozes through your veins with the smell of winter squash and cinnamon.  Why must I wait all year for this?  Oh, patience, sing sweetly to me.  Make this autumn last forever.  

Dear God, thank you for the cool rays of the autumn sun, the breeze as it tickles the trees and the wave of your hand placed ever so softly in the strands of my daughter's hair.
May you be glorified for your awesome creation!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Pure, beautiful poetry

Jen said...

Perfect description. How beautiful and well written :)

mormonhermitmom said...

that's exactly how I've been feeling. I love living where seasons actually change

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails