Tuesday, September 7, 2010

School Bus Envy, not so much.

I remember those days.  I remember when the idea of homeschooling was preposterous to me.  Why would anyone want to keep their children at home with them ALL day long?  24/7 with your kids?  How do people do that?  Doesn't that just drive you crazy?  What about my job?  How would we even make it on one and a half incomes?  I use to love the adrenaline rush of the mornings, getting my kiddos out the door and to the door of the school on time.  The peace and quiet of the house......


I would laugh at those families that did that, like they were "weird" and somewhat off their rockers.  Then, deep in my heart, a seed was planted, fertilized with all the crap I used to say against it, fed by the warmth of the bright sunshine of those around me who were homeschooling, and watered by the tears of my eyes when they cried because I missed my kids.  I ached for their company.  It was a strange feeling for me to feel that passionate about wanting to keep them close.  For years I had followed the American Dream of raising your kids til they went to daycare then working your butt off to pay to keep them there til Kindergarten, then let the public school teach them all they needed to know about academia.  


What became so clear to me was that my kids are always learning, whether in class or out, therefore, the school not only taught them about the great American poets, but lots of colorful words that bounced hard off the cinder block walls of the institution.  The behaviors of others quickly became apparent that they were affecting or infecting my kids.  Yes, I know, they will need to learn to adapt to certain situations in society, but selling drugs in the boys locker room before basketball practice in 7th grade?  Really?  Or, how about the stories of teens having sex under the stairwell of the high school during school?  Or just the plain old-school problems of bullying (cyber and physical) and the favorite "my teacher hates me" and finding out she really does?  I am not trying to shelter them from life, but what I am doing is exactly what the bible teaches me to do for them.  I am reading the bible and implementing what it means for MY family to instill these principals and characters in their lives.  


There was no time when public school was our traveled road.  There was only time for extra curricular sporting activities, homework (that took longer than school) and oh yea, sleeping.  All of those just got in the way when we were supposed to be modeling our Christian discipleship to them.  So, we had to make a list and cross of what was not a priority for our family and what was a major priority and see if there was a way to make it work.  Public school did not make the cut.  Neither did satellite/cable tv, prime rib dinners, fancy hand soaps, trips to the Riviera, expensive cars, etc.  This is what made the cut: my children, their values, their salvation, their character, my husband and my ability to parent disciples. 


I cannot imagine my life any other way, now.  I love my noisy home and my kids still in pajamas.  I love that life is spiritually different now.  Our focus has changed from "keeping up" and "getting by" to purposeful, intentional way of life.  Mine just happens to include homeschooling my children.  It's the way we can fit it all in, together, laughing and enjoying each other's company.

John 15: 9-17:
9"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17This is my command: Love each other.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love-ing-ly put. So true, so true.

Michelle said...

This was so lifting. I began homeschool my 4 "big" girls for the first time this year and I feel I must be fighting a spriritual battle, I can't quite seem to find what fits or lights a fire. Your words comfort and encourage me. Thanks.

mormonhermitmom said...

I admire homeschoolers, but I know I would not be a good fit to teach my kids the academics - I demand too much of them - get too impatient if they "don't get it". We read scriptures and pray and eat together as a family, and I pray my kids get through it all.
Anyone that homeschools, I cheer them on, because they do something incredible.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails